Starting July 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday 17th of June 2022
Location: Lüderitz, Namibia
Join us on our journey to cultivate giant kelp forests in the offshore ocean of Lüderitz.
Kelp Blue is striving to find long-term solutions to help restore the planet’s equilibrium and provide planet friendly products to some of the world’s largest industries. Its goal is to re-wild the oceans by growing giant kelp forests at scale, beginning with a pilot project from 2020 off the coast of Luderitz. These giant kelp forests will lock away CO2 forever, boost marine biodiversity and have an enormously positive social impact on coastal communities.
Kelp blue is not a ‘business as usual’ company. “We’re here to make a difference ”
We are looking for a pro-active and hands-on agronomist with a positive mindset and a broad skillset. The Agronomist should have at least 1 year of experience in farming and gardening and should be in possession of a Master’s degree. He/she should have a ‘get the job done’ mentality, be able to take initiative, be open minded and innovative.
What you will do
As an Agronomist at Kelp Blue you will be responsible for setting up a garden in Lüderitz/ nearby towns to grow various vegetables, while incorporating the kelp blue biostimulant to run field trials in the market garden. Other tasks include:
- Interrogate and develop the biostimulant and pulp knowledge in relation to dosage and usage on Namibian crops. Ensure these results are recorded clearly and independently and with statistical validity, and validated – by relevant external stakeholders
- Secure the right expert advice on which crops/cultivars to grow.
- Do site selection from a soil analysis perspective, and from a town council / land availability perspective (this is not limited to Lüderitz)
- Build relationships with Namibian farmers and market gardeners who wish to do trial on our biostimulant.
- Deliver the kelp compost prototype (kelp + sand + green waste, etc.)
- Look for grey water / other water uses considerations
- Tie into registration/certification regulatory requirements of the biostimulant and produce.
- Devising (and then delivering) a business model for the farm(s) that will enhance job creation.
- Ensuring a meaningful sales point for the agricultural produce from the garden.
- Collaboration with SME support entities to secure working capital for this project
- Coordination of various ongoing and previous agricultural projects in Lüderitz and alignment of a consensus
- Develop a Funding model for the project
- A BSc of Agriculture / Agronomy / Crop Science (Master’s degree will be an added advantage)
- At least 1-2 years of experience in farming
- Driver’s license
- Namibian nationality
Previously disadvantaged people are encouraged to apply!
What wil you get
As an Agronomist at Kelp Blue you’ll get:
- Medical Aid
- The deadline for applications is 17 June 2022
- Applicants should send a cover letter, CV & Relevant Qualification
- Applications should be sent to: email@example.com Please put AGRONOMIST the subject of the email OR deliver your letter to the Kelp Blue Offices in Lüderitz, The Bodikerhaus Building (Next to pep store).
- For further information, contact +264813228584.